Ok so last year for my birthday weekend we drove to Bozeman for my husband's hockey tourney. It was -22 degrees and he played in an open, out door arena. It was frikkin insane. The other thing that was frikkin insane was me. I wanted to be away from these hockey people and do stuff with just the two of us, where my husband wanted to hang out with them all weekend. It was supposed to be my birthday weekend, the first birthday I had 1700 miles from my nearest relative or friend other than Sport-o. He wanted to make me happy but he wanted to hang with his hockey buds too. I look back now and realize how much I took things out of proportion. I sat in the car that one night and I cried, I yelled, I think made Sport-o regret bringing me to Bozeman in the first place. I couldn't control my emotions. I think he even thought to himself, "I married this drama queen?!?!"
Anyway, I've apologized for my behavior, and recently, because his hockey team is planning on entering another tournament in Bozeman, weekend before my birthday, these thoughts are coming up again. I want to be "cool" with things, and I think my husband wants me to be "cool" with things too, but he's very cautious. I know it will be thirty and forty somethings drinking beer between games and going to Famous Dave's after them and eat ribs and have a good time. But I dread it. These people aren't my friends. The "wives" of the players have never warmed up to me, nor I them. I have actually come to hate it when I sit with them and we have nothing to say. I'll watch the game, but the "talk" that goes on bothers me because it's so awkward. I'm not a big socialite, but I'm not mean or anything- just shy. I'm not a beer guzzler. I don't eat barbeque ribs. (Last year when we went out with the team I ordered a salad. You couldn't imagine the looks.)
Anyway, for it being my big birthday weekend, I'm not really looking forward to it. At least the arena has changed since we were there last, in the fact that it's closed in. So if it's below zero temperatures we should be able to be more comfortable. But the scenerio I expect will be the same. Now if I could just keep my cool and understand that I may not do what I want to do, I think we'll be ok.
No comments:
Post a Comment