Tuesday, February 14, 2006

But I Don't Want to Live on the Moon


For all those Sesame Street kids who grew up in the days of Mr. Hooper's Store and Snuffy as just an "imaginary friend" of Big Bird, this was television. Sure, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood was around and popular, but your parents knew that when you saw the pink elephant trunks pop out of Oscar's garbage can squeeling, or Cookie Monster tossing those cookies into his mouth, you were glued to that screen like a magnet. It gave them just enough time to maybe write out their bills, clean up the living room, or just breathe for a few minutes. I was one of those kids too. As a child, I idolized Cyndi Lauper, Jem and the Holograms, Princess Leia, and the one and only Ernie from Sesame Street.
Looking back, I realize that this muppet had it all: he didn't have to work anywhere, he had a set of drums to play in his apartment, playing checkers and taking baths was his passtime, he had a best friend named Bert(and I don't buy the gay theory, by the way)that took care of him, plus he could go to places like Egypt to see the pyramids or go to the moon! OF course, it was all in his imagination, and I traveled to those places too.
My favorite Ernie moment has to be when he sang,
I Don't Want to Live on the Moon. His message is so lighthearted and pure...

Written by Jeff Moss
1978 Festival Attractions, Inc. (ASCAP)
Sung by Ernie (Jim Henson)

Well, I'd like to visit the moon
On a rocket ship high in the air
Yes, I'd like to visit the moon
But I don't think I'd like to live there
Though I'd like to look down at the earth from above
I would miss all the places and people I love
So although I might like it for one afternoon
I don't want to live on the moon

I'd like to travel under the sea
I could meet all the fish everywhere
Yes, I'd travel under the sea
But I don't think I'd like to live there
I might stay for a day there if I had my wish
But there's not much to do when your friends are all fish
And an oyster and clam aren't real family
So I don't want to live in the sea

I'd like to visit the jungle, hear the lions roar
Go back in time and meet a dinosaur
There's so many strange places I'd like to be
But none of them permanently

So if I should visit the moon
Well, I'll dance on a moonbeam and then
I will make a wish on a star
And I'll wish I was home once again
Though I'd like to look down at the earth from above
I would miss all the places and people I love
So although I may go I'll be coming home soon
'Cause I don't want to live on the moon
No, I don't want to live on the moon

So now being an adult, I see that the message doesn't just apply to some child learning his ABC's, but to everyone. It's a message of love for one's family, but the desire to explore the world while keeping roots. I feel in my life I've just begun that journey....


thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Me said...

Speaking of living on the moon...Scotty's ashes are being shot into space! Right along the great Gene Roddenbury....if they weren't already sucked into a black hole. ^_^