Monday, February 13, 2006

Thinking Outside the Valentine's Mailbox
With Valentine's Day only a day away, I was thinking back on the past V-days of my life. I used to look forward to writing out the little children's Valentines to the kids in my class, making a Valentine mailbox, and having a quick, but fun party with my class. These parties, usually were supervised by the teacher and a parent volunteer (which was my mother a lot of the time), and consisted of the handing out Valentine card and getting cupcakes.
One year in grade school, I made a Valentine mailbox from a box that had a red brick pattern on it. I turned it into a cute little house design with windows and a door and an extra large "mail slot" for my Valentines. I was so proud as I brought it into school the next day, only to find out that I was among the few that actually cared enough to make a box, let alone write out Valentines. Always trying to follow what was "cool," I tried to hide it, but only for one of my friends to announce to the class how cute it was and how I should show it to everyone. Being an easy blusher and very timid, I turned bright red as I pulled it out of my book bag. In a complete reversal of what I thought would be coming next, the girls in my class complimented my little house. They didn't tease me like I thought they would, but told me how creative I was. So that goes to show that sometimes your creativity is worth being noticed, if you only have enough confidence to show it.
I've had a soft spot for Valentine's day as long as I know. I've never been into the "love and romance" part of the holiday until I was a bit older, but nevertheless, I do like how for one day people can express themselves. Whether you are in love and give someone a V-Day card and feel all "lovey dovey", or hate the holiday because of a bitter break up, or just can't stand the commericalism of a truly marketed holiday, this is the day to vent! and eat chocolate!
So to all you Valentine's day lovers and haters out there, here's to you!

No comments: