This week's pet peeve: forced fun
We are having a talent show/ display of sorts at work this week. We can bring in our crafts, art, writing, perform a song, read a poem, whatever we want as a way to wrap up the winter season. Corny to say the least.
I decided to make something origami. I figured people wouldn't have a clue that I fold paper in my spare time. And sometimes not in my spare time- I do it to keep my hands busy. Some people doodle- I make paper stars and balls n' such.
I made a lily plant out of paper and put it in a vase. If I take a picture I'll post it for posterity.
So to get to my point, who gives a flying hippopotamus about what Joe S. Blueberry does when he's not at work? Who cares that I fold paper? We have to come together and pat each other on the back and say, good job Mary Strawberry, you made some great antler art. And you, Freddie Banana, great painting. Awesome. Betty Pineapple- love the quilt.
Plastic smiles. Fake pats on the back. Oh and refreshments- did I mention those? Yeah- we get to have cookies and punch while our fake smiles hurt our faces.
I'm not complaining, but merely predicting what will happen. My department is busy up to our eyeballs with projects and we have to take a break to participate in the festivities. Sometimes it's nice to break away, but when you chit chat with people for a while and in the back of your mind you're thinking of all the work you have to get done before 5:00 you are not really enjoying yourself--- you're ultimately adding more stress to your already stressful day.
But alas, it's fun for my own good, right? Moral booster- get to know your colleagues.
Yippee.
No comments:
Post a Comment