Thursday, June 25, 2009

JV never Varsity

The original intent of this post was to be cheery and say that everything went well with all the events of my work and that I'm now catching up with my life. Well, that's all true, the big events went almost perfectly and every one can pat themselves on the back. I'm proud of myself and the work I did.

But after the smoke cleared I have this ick feeling that I can't shake. It's the "I didn't get enough credit- pooey on me" syndrome. All along I was with my boss in the planning, the conception, the installation, the everything you can think of to make this successful. And when it came time for the "thanks" all I got was a thank you note. No recognition at any of the fancy dinners, no one clapped for me or called me a genuis. I understand I'm the second fiddle, the Robin to Batman, but even Robin gets his thanks when he does something good.

I guess it sounds envious and jealous. I know, I know that it's the way things work. The peons don't get recognition, but it just doesn't seem fair.

You know, I had to give a tour to the spouses of our board because my boss was being interviewed by the New York Times at the same time. When I met up with them and introduced myself and said I'd be giving the tour, you couldn't believe the looks on their faces. Disappointment. It was the JV instead of the Varsity.

Makes me feel like shit. Never good enough.

Take your thank you note and shove it.

No comments: