Tuesday, July 11, 2006

New Technology- The Typewriter

So I've used typewriters before. When I was a kid and my mom wrote for the local newspaper- she typed on a typewriter, and she'd let us type some letters or help us write papers. I even wrote some papers on a word processor many moons ago. So I had lots of exposure. Then, in college I worked for an office that used typewriters to type addresses on envelopes. I must've thought I was pretty sly, using typewriters n'all. So today I go to use one and oh what happened. We have a typewriter in the office to use to type labels for filing. I sat at that stupid machine and couldn't even find the on button at first. Then, the dumb thing wouldn't move the margins. So after many mumblings under my breath of words that shouldn't be repeated, I dealt with it, made my labels, used lots of white out, and left.

I think from now on I'm either going to hand write the labels or figure out a way of doing it on the computer. Now I guess I know what people felt like when pc's came out. Just think of someone from say the 1920s trying to figure out how a mouse works.

No comments: